What are the State-Wise On-Demand Transport requirements in Australia?


In our previous blogs, we’ve covered the driver accreditation requirements in brief. In today’s internet generation, it is not only businesses and customers who benefit from online shopping.

There has been an increasing demand for delivery drivers, providing more job opportunities. In this blog, we’ll cover some of the rules and regulations for driving commercial vehicles pertaining to each state/territory. The process of obtaining a license differs slightly from each particular state or territory.

Requirements for Commercial Driving in Western Australia (WA)

Before you can legally operate and drive fare paying passengers for hire and reward, you must have the correct driver's licence. The two driver's licence extensions are:

F (Charter) Extension:

A charter (bus) driver's or charter vehicle licence which allows a driver to carry passengers for hire or reward.

Extension T (Taxi):

A taxi driver's licence which allows a driver to carry passengers for hire or reward. When you already have a T (taxi) extension, you don't need to obtain an F (charter) extension. Both are an extension of your current driver's licence.

You must also have the appropriate licence for the class of vehicle you will be driving. Someone who is minimum 20 years of age and has a driver license for 3 years can apply for the extension. Also, a Police check for Western Australia needs to be obtained following by a medical assessment.

Requirements for Commercial Driving in Northern Territory (NT)

If you live in Northern Territory and wish to become a commercial passenger driver, you need to obtain an
H endorsement on your NT driver’s licence. This endorsement is also necessary for anyone wanting to hold a commercial passenger vehicle identity (CPVID) card. The basic requirements include the applicant must be 18 years 6 months old and hold a current driver license for the type of vehicle, and be able to read and write in the English Language.

At the time of applying, a National police check Certificate and a medical assessment of fitness to drive is also required. Meanwhile, the applicant must pass the Hire and Reward Knowledge theory test at a Motor Vehicle Registry office. The ridesharing driver application needs to be filled out separately if the applicant will be offering rideshare.

Requirements for Commercial Driving in Queensland (QLD)

In Queensland, a driver authorisation is a qualification required by drivers of motor vehicles used to provide a particular public passenger service. From 2018, 3 types of driver authorisations exist, i.e. Booked Hire/Taxi driver authorisation, General driver authorisation and Restricted driver authorisation.

Criminal history checks for QLD is part of the application process. All driver authorisation applicants and existing driver authorisation holders must have a transparent criminal background to ensure the safety of children, other vulnerable members of the community as well as the personal safety of passengers and their belongings.

Along with Criminal History checks, Traffic History and Medical History checks are also required by the Department of Transport and Main Roads. The driver authorisation is automatically suspended or cancelled if the driver license is suspended/revoked.

Requirements for Commercial Driving in New South Wales (NSW)

If you provide passenger transportation services such as taxis, rideshare, private hire or tour drive operations in New South Wales, you'll need to apply for a Passenger Transport License Code (PTLC). To apply for the license, the proof of identity and an unrestricted Australian driving license is required. Also, the applicant needs to meet the medical standards.

There is a separate authorisation needed for the public passenger bus drivers (more than 13 seats). To apply for the bus driver authority, the applicant must be at least 20 years old and own an unrestricted Australian driving license. At the time of applying, a Police check NSW certificate not more than 3 months old and Medical assessment certificate not older than 6 months is needed.

Rideshare drivers, under the Point to Point Transport (Taxis and Hire Vehicles) Act 2016 are required to hold a Private Hire Vehicle (PHV) driver license provided by Roads and Maritime Services, to register their vehicles for business use and to comply with specific safety standards.

Requirements for Commercial Driving in Victoria (VIC)

Requirements for commercial driving in Victoria arguably involves minimum hassles. If you plan on transporting one or more passengers and charging them for a trip that begins in Victoria, this is called a CPV (Commercial Passenger Vehicle) service. You must hold Driver Accreditation to offer a CPV service. This is true of taxi drivers, car hire, rideshare, and wedding vehicles. You may be required to hold a Driver Accreditation Certificate if you wish to drive a bus in Victoria.

The main advantage of commercial driving in Victoria is that it considers a full driver license valid from any state/territory. An applicant may require a National police check for Victoria, a Medical Test and a Traffic History check as well. Similarly, your car will have to meet the requirements set by the independent transportation provider (your employer).

Requirements for Commercial Driving in South Australia (SA)

To drive a public passenger vehicle in South Australia, one needs to have the SA driver accreditation, which is issued for a maximum of 3 years. In South Australia, Working with Children Check (WWCC) is mandatory to apply for the commercial licence along with a National police check certificate issued by the state police or an ACIC accredited body.

The applicant's English language needs to be sufficient, and he/she should pass the medical assessment test in accordance with the guideline. An approved training course for the taxi drivers and Commercial Operators Motorcycle Course for the motorcycle riders needs to be completed.

The SA government has some strict measures to prevent any discrimination based on sex, race, age etc. The drivers cannot consume alcohol or drugs while driving or cannot refuse a passenger with a dog. Violation of these requirements can lead to permanent or temporary cancellation of accreditation.

Different driver accreditation categories are available from Taxi (TX) to Small Passenger (SP). One can apply for a type of accreditation based on the vehicle they intend to drive.

Irrespective of the category Police check SA is must for the driver accreditation.

Requirements for Commercial Driving in the Australia Capital Territory (ACT)

There are 6 public vehicle driver licence conditions in ACT, i.e. T (Taxi), O (Public Bus), H (Hire Car), M (Hire Motorcycle), W (Restricted Hire Car) and D (Rideshare). Generally, for all the conditions, applicants need to have a full Australian driver licence and be a permanent resident of Australia or have a valid work visa.

There are some additional requirements for specific conditions like, in case of 'T', one needs to provide a language skill if they are not a resident of Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Ireland, United Kingdom or the USA. In case of the Rideshare licence, it is now mandatory to meet the new regulatory requirements from August 1, 2016. If someone intends to drive a Rideshare vehicle, they have to upgrade the licence to 'D' condition. Obtaining a Working with Vulnerable People registration is also required. Once the driver licence is upgraded, the applicant has to apply for Rideshare driver accreditation and Rideshare vehicle licence.

To apply for the licence one needs a National police check for the ACT by an ACIC accredited organisation, 'commercial driver health assessment' certificate, completed 'Authorisation to release public passenger driver licence and accreditation status', completed 'Rideshare driver accreditation and vehicle licence application' and a completed 'Rideshare vehicle licence application' if required. A copy of the vulnerable people registration card is also required.

KONCHECK, an Accredited body of the ACIC

A police check can be easily obtained through KONCHECK as it is an accredited body of the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC). The certificate we provide is valid in any state or territory of Australia. The process is 100% online, which means no manual paper-forms or long queues. Obtain the check prior to applying for the commercial licence to avoid delay in the process.

Previous Post Next Post